Several foodstuffs, which can be safely consumed by humans, are toxic to small animals and can be even lethal. This article reviews case reports about intoxications with coffee and cocoa products, onions and garlic, grapes and raisins, avocado fruits, macadamia nuts, hops, salt and xylitol. The already established pathological mechanisms are described and therapies are suggested. It is recommended to strictly avoid feeding edibles containing these substances and to store them inaccessible to pets. Veterinarians are required to inform pet owners about these risks, to continually educate themselves on the topic and to publish such cases to make them generally known.