University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna - Research portal

Diagrammed Link to Homepage University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna

Selected Publication:

Type of publication: Doctoral Thesis
Type of document:

Year: 2020

Authors: Aghapour, Masoud

Title: Intra- und Inter-Beobachter-Übereinstimmung von Messungen der Oberschenkel- und Schienbeinausrichtung in Chihuahuas mit Patellaluxation durch Röntgenaufnahmen.

Other title: Intra and inter-observer agreement of measurements of femoral and tibial alignments in Chihuahuas with patellar luxation using radiographs

Source: Dissertation, Vet. Med. Univ. Wien, pp. 28.


Authors Vetmeduni Vienna:

Aghapour Masoud

Advisor(s):
Bockstahler Barbara

Reviewer(s):
Ludewig Eberhard

Vetmed Research Units:
University Clinic for Small Animals, Clinical Unit of Small Animal Surgery


Abstract:
Measurement of limb alignment in veterinary orthopedics is significant, as it is in human medicine. The establishment of reference ranges for limb and joint alignments allow veterinarians to specify the quantitative degree of an angular deformity and plan suitable treatments. Therefore, evaluation of the measurement methods could be useful, especially in dogs with bone deformities such as severe grades of medial patellar luxation (MPL). The objectives of this study were to report the values for femoral and tibial angles in Chihuahuas with MPL and to evaluate the intra- and inter-observer variability of the protocol. Radiographs of 21 client-owned Chihuahuas with a diagnose of MPL evaluated retrospectively. Inter-observer variability was based on the measurements between the three observers. Intra-observer variability was based on measurements by each observer who repeated the protocol two times. The results showed that 92.85% of inter-observer, intra-class correlation coefficient (ICC) had a high correlation, and the remaining 7.15% had a good correlation. Intra-observer ICCs for measurements of the first observer were 28.57% high and 50% good correlation. For the second observer, 100% high correlation was recorded, and for the third observer, 71.42% high and 14.28% good correlation was recorded. According to the results, selected methods have a high correlation and could be used as a reliable method in veterinary orthopedics. Evaluations of the measurements of the femoral alignment had a better correlation than the evaluation of the tibia. However, measurements in the frontal plane were more accurate than those in the sagittal plane.


Publication(s) resulting from University thesis:

Aghapour, M; Bockstahler, B; Kneissl, S; Tichy, A; Vidoni, B (2019): Femoral and tibial alignments in chihuahuas with patellar luxation by radiograph: Angular values and intra- and inter-observer agreement of measurements. PLoS One. 2019; 14(3):e0214579
Open Access Logo

© University of Veterinary Medicine ViennaHelp and DownloadsAccessibility statement